Day 7 - All Good Things Must Come To An End

We had a sleep in today. I now classify 6:45am as a sleep in after this week! All the seagrass work had been done and it was time to be a tourist for the day.  We were very lucky as Dr James Udy decided to take Glaucus out for one last spin around North Stradbroke island. We were on the search to find Manta Rays! These are huge Rays that can get to 7m in width. It was a bit of a bumpy ride around the island as we headed out to the South Pacific Ocean. At one stage we hit a big wave and I bounced off the side of Glaucus, luckily I was holding on tightly and managed to pull myself back in! That definitely woke me up. There’s no change of relaxing around here, even though the hard seagrass work had been done!

Read more

Day 6 - I Don't Think You're Ready For This Jelly

I didn’t know where I was when my alarm went off this morning, I think I was completely warn out after all this hard work! When I did realise, I was suddenly feeling a bit sad knowing that today was our last day of seagrass mapping. I think I finally have my sea legs (you might need to google that one kids, it doesn’t mean I have the actual sea as my legs!). I’m used to feeling like I’m constantly rocking on a boat, even on dry land and I could rattle off a few seagrass species found in Moreton Bay if you wanted me to, but you probably don't

Read more

Day 5 - Our Mission Through The Mangrove Mud

Where was our bright, sunny morning today! There was a grey sky and a lot of wind instead. What happened to the promise from that famous Queensland Tourism slogan, Beautiful One Day, Perfect The Next. They’ve let me down!
Although, I think our Grade 5’s might be scratching their heads right now as this tourism campaign may have come out before they were even born. Anyway it doesn’t really matter if it rains because I’m dressed in my wetsuit and snorkel once again and I'll be getting wet anyway.
Today we headed out on the smaller research boat called Glaucus with Paul. He’s one of the expert seagrass scientist on this trip. Our job for today, seagrass mapping.
Read more

Day 4 - Sailing Velella

It was yet another 6:30am start for Day 4 but that was fine because the sun was shining and TODAY I got to stay on 'Velella' (also known as the mothership!) for the whole day. There was no diving for seagrass for me today and I couldn't wait to wear something other than a wetsuit all day. Finally I could wear some of the clothes I actually packed. I was starting to think I shouldn't have bothered with my 15kg luggage allowance on Tiger Airways. I could've just worn my wetsuit, flippers and snorkel on the aeroplane instead because that's all I have worn for the last couple of days. Not that I'm complaining, it makes choosing what to wear for the day very easy.

Read more

Day 3 - A Day For Dugongs

This could be a short blog for tonight. We had quite a long day on the boat and as the wind picked up this afternoon, so did the waves! 

Today we all jumped aboard Velella at 6:30am and headed out to sea. After some delicious breakfast we found out about the activities we would be helping with today. Today I was going to be working with Dr James Udy, who is a seagrass expert! We left the comforts of Velella for a day on the water in a slightly smaller (well a LOT smaller actually) boat called 'Tender', which we would be using to take us out into Moreton Bay to collect samples of the different seagrasses that live there.  

Read more

Day 2 - On Velella And Out To Sea We Go

Unlike Melbourne, it gets light at around 5am! So getting to our research boat “Velella”, by 6:30am wasn’t actually as bad as I thought. The sun was shining and the Curlews were making plenty of noise outside my window. There’s no chance of a sleep in around here!

Read more

Day 1 - Sunny Skies At Last

Finally I have escaped the Melbourne weather and moved to warmer climates for the next week, but I won’t make you jealous with any photos of the sunny skies up here just yet!

I took a trip to Cleveland, just outside of Brisbane, where I met the rest of the team and then caught the afternoon car ferry over to the Moreton Bay Research Station on North Stradbroke Island, our home for the next week.

Read more